Happy Cinco de Mayo, everyone! Now usually on this holiday, I would be overly indulging in yummy chicken burritos, packed with cheese and rice! But this year will look a little bit different for me. Within the past month, I have made the decision to *attempt* to fully transition from first a vegetarian diet to eventually Veganism. This being said, I reached out to my brother who is extremely strict with his diets, in hopes of him sharing his secret recipe to one of the best dishes I have ever tried in my life! In honor of Cinco de Mayo, I would encourage anyone who is looking to spice up their diet with this super healthy, easy, and quick dish!
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive/grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Juice of one lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 apple, chopped (optional for crunch & tartness)
- Walnuts, Cranberries (optional)
- Sprinkle of Feta or Queso Fresco (optional)
- Prepare the quinoa. Bring the pot to a boil with 2 cups of water, then cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa has sprouted out.
- Simultaneously, mix your oil, cumin, garlic, lime, and salt together in the bottom of a large bowl to let the flavors mix while the quinoa cooks.
- Chop the veggies. Add the cooked quinoa, beans, apple, and veggies to the bowl and gently mix in all ingredients with the dressing.
- The quinoa can be warm, room temp, or cold when you serve the dish. To better set the flavors together, I suggest letting it chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes. I prefer the salad cold but have also ate spoonfuls while preparing it, so it is entirely up to your preference! Without this step, cook time is about 20-25 mins.
If you are ready to experience a healthy Cinco de Mayo inspired dish, I urge you to give this recipe a try! For fun, add cheese, avocado, and tortillas to finish the meal off!
2 thoughts on “Vegan Black Bean & Quinoa Salad”
Sure is! You should def give it a try 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person